We have extensive experience representing clients in the acquisition, development, redevelopment and disposition of commercial real estate of all types throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut, including: mixed-use hospitality, commercial and retail; recreation complexes and clubs; multifamily residential, apartment and condominium complexes; subdivision developments; industrial facilities and more. We have worked on some of the most high profile and recognized projects in the region. Our lawyers understand the acquisition, financing, permitting and development processes. We possess the professional expertise to negotiate contracts, perform and oversee due diligence, identify issues and devise practical solutions to limit our clients’ risks. We view ourselves as partners to advise and guide our clients in navigating the legal hurdles and opportunities throughout the development life cycle from early concept planning, site acquisition, construction, occupancy, ownership/operation and sale.
Our lawyers handle all legal aspects of the development process, including:
- Preparation and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements and letters of intent
- All aspects of property due diligence, including: title and survey analysis and resolution of title and site issues, negotiation of title insurance policies and special coverages, environmental assessments, overseeing property condition and environmental assessments, and analysis and negotiations of existing tenant leases and operating contracts
- Special purpose entity formation, partnership agreements, homeowner association and condominium documents
- Land use permitting, approvals and other governmental entitlements
- Acquisition, construction and permanent financing, including preparation of all conveyancing documents, closing statements, authority documentation, and escrow documentation
- Application, advice and documentation with respect to tax credits and economic incentive programs such as: historic tax credits, housing tax credits, PILOT programs, HDIP funding, TIF programs, etc.
- Preparation and negotiation of site development agreements and construction contracts and preparation and negotiation of reciprocal easement agreements, declarations of covenants, conditions and restrictions, utility easements, access easements, stormwater/drainage detention easements, signage easements, and other off-site rights and easements.
- Negotiation and documentation of property sales, release of liens and closing process, as well as advice on distribution and protection of proceeds.